Long string in codesite msg hangs fileviewer

Home Forums CodeSite Long string in codesite msg hangs fileviewer

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mika Koistinen
      Participant

Hi,
        I have few codesite log files where last entry is long string (very long… ? ) and when I go to that entry CsFileViewer just hangs for a long time.
        Is there any options to take first X characters? Or any other solution

Ray Konopka
        Keymaster

Hi

How exactly are you sending the long string value to CodeSite? Is it a simple statement such as:

CodeSite.Send( 'SampleString', SampleString );

where SampleString is of type string? And just how long is the string that you are logging?

Also, when you state “when I go to that entry”, what exactly do you mean by that? Are you hovering over the message in the message list and the hint window is popping up? Or, are you clicking on the message? And, do you have the Inspector Pane visible?

Do you have a sample log file that illustrates the issue that you could send to me? If so, please zip up the log file and send it to our support email address.

Ray

Mika Koistinen
          Participant

Hi Ray,
            I’ll send sample file soon.
            Msg is send by codesite.send(‘SOmetitle’, s);
            Actually i dont know exactly how long that is .. but I have configured that File Size LImit is 20M. so when most of files are 40M i assume that message is 10M 🙂

49 710 905 file_30.csl
            40 474 293 file_31.csl
            40 597 025 file_32.csl
            40 140 651 file_33.csl
            57 753 417 file_34.csl
            59 570 272 file_35.csl
            41 600 168 file_36.csl
            39 692 905 file_37.csl
            57 148 799 file_38.csl
            43 182 131 file_39.csl
            I go to that entry by going to end of file (Ctrl-End) or many many page downs.

BUt i’ll send that file soon.

Ray Konopka
            Keymaster

Thanks for sending the file. I am able to duplicate the behavior you reported. I’ve seen customers log some pretty long strings into CodeSite, but nothing comes close to the amount of data that you are trying to log. The delay in the viewer is resulting from all that data being loaded into the inspector pane.

We can consider addressing this condition, but I must ask, why are you logging so much data into a single message? How are you expecting to use this logging information?

Ray

Mika Koistinen
              Participant

Actually we were tracing another problem with our limited production environment and it required tracking those results and we didn’t consider that possibility to that some uses our api without paging . We have removed that log message, because issue is solved and we will try to remove long messages in future.
                But anyway, if there would be some solution to prevent long delays, that would be awesome.

thanks,
                mika

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.