Grab data from the csl files

Home Forums CodeSite Grab data from the csl files

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Csaba Bodi
      Participant

Hi All,

Is there any info or tool, to grab data from the csl files directly or can it be exported somehow?
        We need to analyse log data and we’d like to be sure that we do it in a good way.

Thanks,

Csaba

Ray Konopka
        Keymaster

Hi Csaba,

I already answered same question via email. I’m including response below in case others are interested.

One option is to use the CSFileExporter.exe tool that is included with CodeSite (including the Express edition). It is located in the CS5\Bin directory (typically, C:\Program Files (x86)\Raize\CS5\Bin). It is a command line tool that allows you to export messages from a CodeSite log file into a different format (i.e. XML, TXT, CSV).

The one downside to using the CSFileExporter is that you have to manually run it to export the data. One of the requests that we have been getting a lot recently is to provide a means by which CodeSite log data could be ingested into an aggregate system such as Splunk. As a result, in CodeSite 6, we are introducing a new destination type called a Digest that contains CodeSite messages in plain text, formatted for easy ingestion in to Splunk and other aggregate logging systems. Unfortunately, CodeSite 6 has not yet been released.

Another option is to utilize the OnSendMsg event available in CodeSite Studio to write out to a text file for each CodeSite message. The message data is included in the event handler. The downside to this is that you have to have CodeSite Studio and you have to write out the log file manually.

Of course, the Digest option in CodeSite 6 will be the best solution once it is released.

Ray

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.