WMI error

Home Forums CodeSite WMI error

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Venkatesan KS
      Participant

Hello Team,

Recently, we have included Code site 5.4.2.0 installer tool in our installation suite. We get complaints from the market that this installation is giving WMI errors. Earlier, we have supplied 5.3.1.0 which didn’t cause any issues.

WMI Error
        we could not understand why this issue is popping up suddenly with the new installer. Any suggestions on this would be welcome

Tks

best regards

Venkatesan

Ray Konopka
        Keymaster

Hi,

We are not aware of any issues with the CodeSite Tools installer. However, in 5.3.3 the CodeSite Tools installer was changed to InnoSetup. The old installer was built with Wise Installation System.

Is the CS5_Tools.exe installer being run separately? Or, it is being launched from within your own product installer? Are you specifying any parameters to the CS5_Tools.exe program?

What type of machines are you running the installer on? From the message, it appears that InnoSetup may require WMI.

Does this error happen all the time? Or, just a certain machines?

Ray

Venkatesan KS
          Participant

Dear Ray.

Thank you for your quick feedback.  It is very much appreciated.

Please find below my answers to your questions

1.   CS5_Tools executable will be started from our installer. In one of the customer’s PC, we have launched this tool directly using the Administrator account. We get the above error as soon as we started the tool

2)  We are using the below command line parameter. Please note that CodeSiteToolsSetup.txt has been kept in the same place than the executable

CS5_Tools /s /m=CodeSiteToolsSetup.txt

3)   So far we get this complaint from 5-10 customers. Most of them are using Win11 OS but different editions.

Hope the above information is useful. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Ray Konopka
            Keymaster

Hi,

Thank you for the additional information. I have researched this issue some more, and I have discovered that the InnoSetup script that is used for CodeSite Tools installer does make use of the SWbemLocator to determine if any of the CodeSite Tools applications are currently running. The approach appears to be a pretty common practice with InnoSetups scripts. What is surprising is that WMI is not available on some of your customer’s computers. This particular module is the CodeSite Tools setup has been present for quite some time, and we’ve never received any reports such as this.

I’m looking into alternative methods to using the SWbemLocator and if that is not possible, coming up with a way to gracefully handle the situation that SWbemLocator is not found and still continue with the installer.

Ray

Ray Konopka
              Keymaster

Hi,
                I have modified the CodeSite Tools installer to no longer use WMI and have uploaded the new CS5_Tools installer to the Raize Software website. You can download the new version here: https://raize.com/wp-content/uploads/CS5_Tools.zip

To be clear, the version of the tools is still 5.4.2, it is just the installer that has been updated.

Ray

Venkatesan KS
                Participant

Dear Ray.

Thank you very much for your faster reaction and sending us the update tool.

We will check the tool

Regards

Venkatesan

Venkatesan KS
                  Participant

Dear Ray

We have checked the new installer in one of the client’s PC where we encountered WMI issues earlier. As expected, it is working perfectly  now. No more WMI errors when launching the new tool

Your quick response and the update is really very much appreciated.

You may close this ticket.

Thanks

Best regards,

Venkatesan

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.