Home Forums CodeSite CodeSite with network dispatcher

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jan de Bokx
      Participant

Hello all,

We are testing the logging of codesite.
        It looks great.
        But now we have the express version in Delphi 11.
        What I want to know what to expect from remote logging.
        Is this working with about 250 client computers logging to one server?
        What kind of server is needed for this?

Kind regards,

Jan

Ray Konopka
        Keymaster

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your interest in the remote logging capabilities of CodeSite. Remote logging leverages the CodeSite Dispatcher to transport CodeSite messages to another CodeSite Dispatcher running on a remote computer. And since CodeSite allows you to specify multiple destinations for your CodeSite messages, you could have an application’s CodeSite messages saved locally in a CodeSite log file as well as being transported to a remote dispatcher where the message could be saved in a “remote” log file, or displayed in the Live Viewer running on the remote machine.
          When it comes to logging in general and especially with remote logging, it is important to consider how the logging information is going to be used. You asked about 250 client computers logging to one server. You could certainly configure 250 client computers to transport their CodeSite messages to a single remote computer. Of course, performance is certainly going to be an issue if each client application is sending a high volume of large CodeSite messages.
          But even if you will not be taxing the system with lots of data, it is still important to consider what you want to do with the logging information once it is captured. For example, does it make sense for all CodeSite messages from each client to be placed into a single CodeSite Log File on a remote computer? If there are interactions between the various client computers, then perhaps it makes sense to see all the messages in one log file. On the other hand, if the intent is to simply have a remote version of the log so a support staff member can more easily access client logging information, then it may make more sense to have each remote log file include the name of the client computer.
          In regards to what kind of server, that will really depend on the volume of CodeSite messages you expect to be sending, and what payload those messages will contain. For example, sending a simple CodeSite message that logs the current value of a property is much different than a CodeSite message that captures all of the published properties of the current form, which is much different than a CodeSite message that contains a screenshot of the current desktop.

Ray

Jan de Bokx
          Participant

Hello Ray,

Thank you for the extensive answer.
            We already had a logging component, but now it stopped working in an extension for Outlook and Word. Already a lot of changes to get it working, but no solution was found.
            So I was searching for a replacement, and found codesite.
            The codesite express is working in the extension without problems.

Reading the help and other information I concluded wrongly there was only 1 disptacher needed in the network setting.
            The logging is mostly just showing the flow of the program.
            In the past many times I was told the users did not answer honestly when an error occured…
            So to see the flow helped me a lot with strange errors…
            As you already stated a logging file with name of client pc would be nice.

At the moment just brainstorming what way to go.
            Also thinking about a general exception handling to mail the logfile to IT department.

I’m trying to convince the manager to buy codesite, we are with 3 developers only, so the costs seems do-able I think…

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.