CodeSite Express not displaying all sent

Home Forums CodeSite CodeSite Express not displaying all sent

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ariagna Bandala
      Participant

Hello, I am testing the express version included in my Rad Studio XE7 and so far it has seemed like a very good tool, but I have the following questions:
        1. I have noticed that there are times when I do not receive the messages in the live viewer, which makes me think that they are lost, or rather I lose knowledge of what happened in my application, my operating system is Windows 10, I tried in Windows 7 and the intermittence that I did not receive the messages was a little less, but if it happens to me, I would like to know if it is a problem because I am using the free version or if I need to add some configuration to CodeSite?
        2. My application where I want to implement the use of this tool is quite extensive and I am worried that it will become saturated due to having a large number of messages to send, so if I wanted to be sure that the dispatcher when adding the blocking of messages of a certain category prevents them from being generated, or is it simply not showing them in the live viewer?

I’m waiting for your response

Ray Konopka
        Keymaster

Hi Ariagna,

In regards to #1, there are a few situations that can affect whether or not a CodeSite message makes it from your application code to the Live Viewer.

1. The CodeSite logger that is used to send the message has its Enabled property set to False.
          2. The CodeSiteManager.Enabled property is set to False.
          3. If a CodeSite logger is set to use a Destination that does NOT include the Viewer, then any messages generated by that logger will NOT show up in the Live Viewer.
          4. The CodeSite logger is trying to use a destination that is not valid. This would manifest itself in the CodeSite Dispatcher (the icon would turn red, and there Dispatcher Log would show an error). In this case, the logger would become disabled.
          5. The Live Viewer could be configured to Block Incoming Messages. Check the Tools > Block Incoming Messages menu item.
          6. The CodeSite Dispatcher could be configured to block categories of messages. CodeSite messages that specify a Category that is blocked will not be sent to the final destination.

When using the Dispatcher to block a Category, the CodeSite logger still generates the CodeSite message and sends it to the Dispatcher. As noted above, the Dispatcher then stops the message from going further, if the message’s Category is blocked.

A better approach to control the amount of messages that your application generates is to use separate loggers and enable or disable the loggers as needed. For example, you could create a csCritical logger that is always enabled and is used for logging critical information. You could then create other loggers based on how you want to control the amount of logging. The use of Categories and Logger instances makes CodeSite quite a bit different than traditional log-level approaches.

Hope this helps,
          Ray

Ariagna Bandala
          Participant

Thank you very much for your prompt response, it has really been very useful to be able to present an example to the company’s board of directors. Regarding the problem described in point 1, what I did was apply the CodeSiteManager to connect through TCP and this solves that the messages always reach me, now I have another question, do you have a user manual for this tool that you could provide me, so that I could take a look at it and be able to present what other things could be done with your wonderful tool, this Thinking that the manual is from the studio version that we are now more interested in obtaining.
            Another thing is that our application has a Server and the possible execution of several clients, the use of Codesite Studio is planned to be applied at the server level and I have a question about how to identify that it comes from a certain client, for example, its tool have some identifier, our server is multithreaded.
            I await your prompt response, thank you very much in advance

Ray Konopka
            Keymaster

Hi Ariagna,

There is no separate manual, but the CodeSite Help has a lot of information about the product. You can get to the Help file from the Help menu of any of the CodeSite Tools (e.g. CodeSite Live Viewer). You can also get to the CodeSite Help file from within the RAD Studio IDE by selecting the Tools > CodeSite > CodeSite Help menu item.

In regards to your other question about “CodeSite Studio is planned to be applied at the server level”, I’m not sure I completely understand your intention. However, I can say that each CodeSite message contains the name of the Computer from which the message originated.

Ray

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.