CodeSite Dispatcher: Out of memory

Home Forums CodeSite CodeSite Dispatcher: Out of memory

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Hans Brand
      Participant

Hi Ray,

Today I received a notice from a customer that the ‘CodeSite Dispatcher’ popped up with an ‘Out of memory’ message.

Out of memory

I have no direct access to the target machine but I suspect that a lot of CodeSite log files are written to disc. Can this ‘Out of memory’ be a delayed result of a full disc? Maybe the dispatcher stops writing to disc? Which then causes the incoming dispatcher messages to eat up all the memory?

Maybe I am talking nonsense and you can shine some light on this matter?

Thanks already,
        Hans Brand

Ray Konopka
        Keymaster

Hi,

Is there anyway that you can get access to the machine? Or at least have a user access the Dispatcher Log on that machine?

If the disk was getting so full that the Dispatcher was unable to update the log file, then the Dispatcher should record the error in the Dispatcher Log and then continue to process the next message. The next message would then have a problem as well, log the problem, and continue. Clearly the Out of Memory error suggests that something is not getting cleaned up correctly in this situation.

In addition to check the Dispatcher Log, I would suggest terminating the CSDispatcher.exe and then check the hard disk. Is the disk really full? Or, was the CSDispatcher just eating memory.

Finally, do you know what version of the CodeSite Dispatcher is running on that machine?

Ray

Hans Brand
          Participant

Hi Ray,

There was another occurrence of the Out of Memory.

It is not a ‘disk full’ problem, there is plenty space left. Also after restarting no error is given (it would with a full disk, I guess).

Now also the Live Viewer was involved. I can sort of understand that the viewer will run out of memory in time. I will stop activating the Live Viewer, that is no problem. Still logging to disk.

But that the Dispatcher runs out of memory is stranger.

The CSDispatcherLog file was retrieved but that was after the program was restarted and there is no info in it about the previous Out of Memory anymore. I have asked them to first copy this file before restarting.

Below is a screen shot of the Task Manager after the software was restarted. The Memory use of the Dispatcher is seen to rapidly increase while the Live Viewer is not increasing that much. This indeed might lead to an Out of memory soon.

A few hours later:

Are there any hints you can think of to prevent the Dispatcher from eating up all its memory?

Kind regards, Hans

Ray Konopka
            Keymaster

Hi Hans,
              I am responding to your email regarding the same issues.

Ray

Ricardo Pires
              Participant

Hello friends,

I also have the same problem.

Have you solved it?
                As?

thanks

Ray Konopka
                Keymaster

Hi,

What version of CodeSite are you using? The original poster was initially using 5.1.8 and since then upgraded to 5.3.3. This helped, although the original poster then ran into a different issue that was related to configuration.

As for the memory consumption, I can provide a little more background (from email to original poster). The Dispatcher receives incoming CodeSite messages from applications and then adds them onto a queue to be dispatched. It is certainly possible for more messages to come into the Dispatcher than the dispatcher can actually dispatch. You can see this if the Dispatcher icon is visible in the system notification area. The interior of the Dispatcher icon will turn shades of yellow. The brighter the color yellow, the greater the workload (i.e. more messages need to be dispatched). Since each message takes up space in the queue, it is possible for memory use to grow if the messages cannot be dispatched (or, if it takes a long time to dispatch). Of course, another cause of memory use would be that the Dispatcher is not cleaning up the space used by a message added to the queue after it has been dispatched.

Ray

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.