Delphi 10.4 Sydney

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Barry Wood
      Participant

Hi

Just downloaded and installed 10.4, was looking forward to seeing the long awaited new features.

However, what I don’t see (in GetIT) are the Konopka Signature VCL Controls (which is where they usually are for download/install).

Will these be available for 10.4 soon? I know without them none of my projects will load as I use them extensively.

Joe Gross
        Participant

I am looking for these components as well.

Ray Konopka
          Keymaster

Hi Barry and Joe,
            That is an excellent question. I will reach out to Embarcadero to find out what is going on.

Ray

Andrew Sowerby
            Participant

And importantly, will they now handle High-DPI screens properly?

Andrew

David Marcus
              Participant

And, will they have any new features?

Michael Tuttle
                Participant

Of of today, still not available in GetIT.

Barry Wood
                  Participant

Ray,

Have Embarcadero got back to you yet, it’s been a week now. I’ve asked them myself and they say ‘as soon as possible’ which is odd as they own this package and have known about this release for months now. And surely the support is a minor change? Isn’t it?

I have to say if there is some issue in that they will no longer support them it will call in my need for 10.4 as all my projects use the components and there’s no way I will undo them and use the standard components.

Olivier Beltrami
                    Participant

Hello everyone,

Yes, it’s very frustrating.

Embarcadro comes out with a version of Delphi that I am really excited about, and they release it without ensuring that major vendors supporting it (for example Developer Express still has no announced date for 10.4 support).

But, not being ready with their own product (KSVCL) takes the cake.

Sorry that you get dragged into this everytime, Ray.

Very best regards,

Olivier

Andrew Sowerby
                      Participant

Agreed. Very frustrating. But it’s not only the availability of KVSL, but also their High-DPI monitors’ handling capabilities. I’m now getting complaints from customers about this and I hope to resolve these issues with 10.4. Not looking great at the moment I have to say. Let’s hope I’m being too pessimistic!

Andrew

Barry Wood
                        Participant

I can also see that Bookmarks and Navigator are also not in GetIT. Two add-ins I use quite extensively, apart from KVSL.

It looks like they were so keen to get 10.4 out they weren’t worried about consequences like these but more about possible new sales.

Joe Gross
                          Participant

Still nothing? Really?

Ray – have you heard anything from Embarcadero yet? This is kind of ridiculous already.

Like a previous post mentioned, this is a deal-breaker for me. I cannot go back and use the standard components.

For now, I’ll stick with 10.3; if this isn’t resolved, I won’t be renewing my subscription.

Barry Wood
                            Participant

Nor will I. Embarcadero are shooting themselves in the foot here. At least I would have thought a mention about when these would be available, makes me wonder IF they will be available.

Ben Crain
                              Participant

Ditto on the complaints about getting KVSL for Delphi 10.4.  But let me ask about it for 10.3.  Which I’ve been using, with lots of KVSL.  Suddenly I have a problem with 10.3:  it won’t load, error message says I should re-install it.  I’m reluctant to do that because I suspect it’s a Windows problem (I’ve been having other strange Windows behavior), not really a Delphi issue, and I don’t want to re-install 10.3 until I find out what’s going on with Windows.   But, if I do re-install (10.3, that is), will KVSL be available on Gettit?

Barry Wood
                                Participant

I can’t see why it wouldn’t be on GetIT. If you look at GetIT in 10.3 now you’ll see ‘Bonus KSVC 6.2.3’ is available, so I’d be stunned if it suddenly disappeared.

If you have a 2nd PC/Laptop try re-installing 10.3 there to give you piece of mind/proof.

Michael Tuttle
                                  Participant

Does anyone else feel like you’re sitting at an empty intersection with no other cars in sight starring at the traffic light that has remained red for several minutes and then you notice there is a traffic camera next to the traffic light and wondering if someone is laughing it up while you sit there obeying the law?

What happened to the old days when we could simply select the component package and recompile it to work with the latest version of Delphi?

Olivier Beltrami
                                    Participant

I am trying to remove anything that is on GetIt from my projects, as it’s just too much of a black box leaving us at the mercy of Embarcadero’s staff going on holidays to celebrate the release of 10.4.

Michael Tuttle
                                      Participant

Unfortunately I am not able to do this as I have been using Raize components in ALL my projects since Delphi 3 and Raize 2.

Olivier Beltrami
                                        Participant

I did specify “trying to” 🙂

Andrew Sowerby
                                          Participant

If we only knew whether or not the relevant changes to handle High-DPI monitors were in hand, I would be happy to wait while the work was done. However, if that work isn’t in hand, I want to get on with replacing all the Raize components (of which I use a lot) with components that do handle High-DPI correctly – probably with basic Delphi components. It’s not knowing what is happening which is so frustrating at the moment.

Sydney Sydney
                                            Participant

Unofficial port Raize Components 6.2.3 FS D10.4 Sydney

https://mega.nz/file/fcUCSCKT#deGZK6-o426qcrXXMXu10OMsOcQrUmr9oIfFNuSNnM8

Barry Wood
                                              Participant

I assume as at the moment it is ‘unofficial’ that it will become official soon? After all the product is owned by Embarcadero so why wouldn’t it be?

My answer to that is would seem to be that someone other than E (their name is too long!) has got the source and made the necessary changes to be supported in Sid (another daft naming convention).

My worry is that Ray hasn’t answered any of these posts other than on the first day this was posted, so the answer he was looking for clearly wasn’t a positive one.

Barry Wood
                                                Participant

Might be worth pointing out that the files in the RAR seem to be from a much earlier version of KSVC. The ‘What’s New’ documentation talks about support for XE2. The ReadMe.txt mentions ‘Minimum requirements’ of 10.2 Tokyo.

It may be that the components are the very latest, but if they aren’t, even though they could well install into 10.4 I think some of the components may well have been improved since then and could cause issues when porting over to 10.4.

Personally, while I welcome this ‘unofficial support’ I’m going to hang on for a little while until some definite answer comes out of E.

Barry Wood
                                                  Participant

Hi

Just seen that these are now available in GetIT for Sydney, version 6.2.3, Just downloading now. Whoopee!

Andrew Sowerby
                                                    Participant

And do they now handle High DPI screens correctly?

Andrew Sowerby
                                                      Participant

NO. See my comments in the ‘Scaling’ topic above. If you want to handle high dpi screens in your apps, you will have to convert many (most?) visual Raize components to basic Delphi ones. Very disappointing and Emb have fallen down on the job here.

Ray Konopka
                                                        Keymaster

Hi,

I would like to apologize for my apparent lack of response. I, too, have been very disappointed at how the components have been handled, especially with the 10.4 release. After my initial response in this thread, I did reach out to Embarcadero multiple times. I did receive responses, but they were essentially, “it will be coming soon” type messages. I did not think those responses would help, so I decided not to post. However, I should have posted when the components finally appeared on GetIt. Fortunately, others took care of that.

Let me reiterate that I am very disappointed at how the components have been handled, and I share in your frustration. Especially since Raize Software always focused on having all of our products updated and ready to go when a new version of RAD Studio was released.

This is not how it was supposed to be.

Ray

Olivier Beltrami
                                                          Participant

Hi Ray,

No need to apologize, we all know the high standards of the products that you do control, and the support you offer for these.

It is a real shame that Embarcadero didn’t organize the availability of 3rd party components better. Personally, I find Delphi 10.4 to be one of the more exciting releases in recent memory, but most of us are stuck with this shining new toy and no way to really use it (we had to wait for weeks for Raize compoents, as well as for Developer Express’ products, to mention only 2 of the best known ones).

Always good to hear from you. Hope you and your family are all keeping safe.

Olivier

Barry Wood
                                                            Participant

Agree, no apology needed, we can see you are just as frustrated with Embarcadero as we users are. Let’s hope this is a lesson they learn on any future releases.

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.